With the 2016 presidential race heating up, and candidates campaigning on everything from national security and the economy to health care and immigration, I thought I'd ask my 5-year-old daughter and 4-year-old son what they would do if they were elected President of the United States of America.
Here are their platforms for running for president:
Gracie: "If you elect me as president, I will..."
- Teach everyone how to be doctors and how to take pets to the animal shelter.
- Make people clean all the dirt in their houses and on the roads.
- Make everyone build tons of houses with furniture and stuff.
- Pass a law that says, “No one can ever kill people or knock down houses.”
- Pass a law that says, “You can’t be mean; not even one itsy-bitsy teensy bit.”
Silas: "If you elect me as president, I will..."
- Save the world.
- Make it to where we don’t have to wear seat belts anymore.
- Give people a bunch of books.
- Give everybody toys.
- Play games on the computer.
If you haven't already made up your mind on who you're voting for this year, let me throw these two spectacularly under qualified but incredibly passionate candidates into the mix.
And in all things, let us submit to, trust in, and receive comfort from:
"He who is the blessed and only Sovereign, the King of kings and Lord of lords" (1 Timothy 6:15).
Jonathan Williams is the founder of Gospel Family Ministries. He is also the author of Gospel Family. Jonathan enjoys this ministry alongside his wife, Jessica, and their three children, Gracie, Silas & Elijah. With a heart for families and the church, Jonathan also serves as the pastor of Wilcrest Baptist Church in Houston, Texas.